July 2021–June 2022
Salem has been at the heart of local innovation for more than 250 years. In 1772, before the American Revolution, the Moravians had the revolutionary idea that their daughters deserved the same education as their sons. Salem Academy and College is celebrating its legacy as the oldest educational institution for girls and women in the country—a point of pride for our community. Organizations in our community can help us celebrate this momentous anniversary by becoming a Community Partner.
HOW CAN COMMUNITY PARTNERS CELEBRATE SALEM’S
250TH AND THE WOMEN OF WINSTON-SALEM?
PRIMARY WAYS TO BE INVOLVED:
- Host a program/exhibit that shines a light on Salem and women in our community. If the primary focus is on women in general, mention that it is held in honor of Salem’s 250th anniversary year. Examples could include:
- For a visual arts, venue/concert series, film, or literary organization: host an exhibition or event that features Salem and/or women artists or authors.
- Create an awards program honoring women throughout Winston-Salem’s history or women in our community with a connection to your organization.
- For a museum or destination, create a self-guided or guided tour that lifts up the voices of Salem/women in history.
- For an organization that serves families, create a special event that highlights the accomplishments of women.
- Feature women of Winston-Salem, your organization, and Salem Academy and College during your own events and in your publications (print or digital):
- For an event, lift up/highlight women participating in your event in a special way (example: At your organization’s annual meeting or event, ask all the women leaders in the room to stand and recognize their accomplishments).
- For an event that involves “vendors or artists” booths: Highlight women-owned, women-led businesses with featured locations, signage, etc.
ADDITIONAL WAYS TO PARTICIPATE:
- Partner with Salem on Homecoming (the last leg of the 500-mile walk from Bethlehem, PA) on October 26, 2021 in Salem Square. More information is forthcoming.
- Participate in Community Day on March 26, 2022 on Salem campus. Join us as we welcome the entire local community to the campus for a special day showcasing Salem’s academics, athletics, fine arts, and civic engagement. Community partners are invited to have a presence with an activity or display that promotes their organization in connection to Salem’s 250th, women of Winston-Salem, and women relevant to their organization or cause.
- Display a banner or signage (provided by Salem) at your place of business saying: “We celebrate Salem Academy and College: 250 years of empowering women.”
- Promote the 250 Spotlight events hosted by Salem through your own communication channels—and attend those events!
HOW WILL SALEM HELP PROMOTE COMMUNITY PARTNERSHIP EVENTS AND PROGRAMS:
- Inclusion in Alumnae Newsletter(s)
- Social Media posting on Salem’s social channels
- 250th Calendar of Events on Salem websites
- Press release and media pitches announcing events (by month or quarter)
- Inclusion in advertising from 250th Media Sponsors (likely Calendar of Events)
- Events and Programs promoted on campus (Calendar of Events, digital signage, posters)
Fill out the 250th Community Partner form to sign up your organization for an event or program.